New 10-month students: Guard.Me for the first three months, followed by MSP & Guard.Me Plus for the remainder of the school year provided the student has a valid Study Permit
New 5-month students: Guard.Me for the duration of enrollment
Returning students: full-year MSP coverage & Guard.Me Plus for the duration of school enrollment provided the student has a valid Study Permit
What is MSP and Guard.Me?
BC Medical Services Plan (MSP)
- MSP is the mandatory public health insurance provided by Health Insurance BC for students with a valid Study Permit.
- All 10-month students must provide their Study Permit to the International Programs department at the beginning of the school year.
- Always present your MSP card when you visit a clinic or hospital. Details of coverage under MSP can be found here.
- Click here for information about the end of MSP coverage.
- Guard.Me Plus is a private insurance top-up for MSP students.
- Guard.Me Plus benefit summary and policy wording.
- Guard.Me is a private insurance for students without MSP.
- Guard.Me benefit summary and policy wording.
- If you have Guard.Me insurance and go to a clinic or hospital, please keep the medical receipts, and follow the instructions to make a claim.
Talk to a Doctor
TELUS Health MyCare
- Only for students 16 years or older and have BC Medical Services Plan (MSP).
- TELUS Health MyCare lets you see a doctor, mental health counsellor or dietitian from your phone, where and when it’s convenient for you.
- Doctor consultations for BC residents are covered under the Medical Services Plan (MSP). You can download the app, register for your free account, and schedule a doctor appointment.
- Click here to find more information.
- Only for students who have Guard.Me Insurance.
- Through MobileDOCTOR by Guard.me Insurance, you have access to online doctor consultations on Maple, with your visit billed directly to guard.me.
- You can speak with a Canadian doctor anytime, anywhere!
- Click here to find more information about this service.
Walmart Courtenay Medical Clinic
Urgent & Walk in Care
3199 Cliffe Avenue
Courtenay, BC V9N 2L9
Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p. m.
Weekends and Holidays, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m,
Comox Valley After Hours Urgent Care Clinic
615 10th Street
Monday to Friday, 5 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Weekends and holidays, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
access the clinic by calling 250-331-8099